Thursday, June 26, 2008

Some People Are Created More Equal Than Others

I may be a full-time hater, but I think there was always this ethical part of the back of my mind that basically gave people the benefit of the doubt. Hence, I've often found myself being friends with people that I don't necessarily think that highly of. They may have their faults, I'd reason, but who doesn't? So on this principle of equal-ibrium-ality, I'd come to the assumption that everyone has roughly the same to offer as everyone else, and I'd differentiate my enemies from friends on the strength of a simple criteria: "have conflict with" vs. a "don't have conflict with."

But just because someone doesn't have conflict with me, it doesn't mean they're as worthwhile as others. Some people really just have more to offer. I mean, there's no rule that says that if your friend is more smart, that she has to be less fun, or less interesting, or less nice. By that logic, your dumber friend, who could just as easily be meaner and more boring, would have to be a worse time than the other.

Two things last night made me realize this:

1. Sex and the City: The Movie. I didn't have high expectations for this, so in that context the jokes were funny enough; but ultimately they weren't as funny as the show, which unmasks the fact that those hags are horrible people! All of them! I know their aim is to celebrate Girlfriends and make you wish you had friends as great as Carrie/Samantha/Miranda/Charlotte, but after watching that movie I felt relief: thank God I don't have those superficial, self-absorbed, self-entitled, boring bitches in my life!

2. Even after this sense of relief, it still became apparent to me that I am shit out of patience with my friend Butterfly. She's super annoying, everyone would observe, but I would try to defend her anyways because I thought she basically had a good heart. That may still be true, but good heart can only go so far if every conversation we start has to end with her talking about Her Boy - whom she's convinced she'll marry, and it's been 5 months. And did I mention that she's been saying that since week 2? And that this is the THIRD The One? I'm not even bullshitting, none of us have even met the guy yet, and she has the gall to interrupt a conversation - about our other friend's dating drama, I think, or maybe it was about animal style vs. no onions - by saying: "What do you think My Boy is doing right this minute?" Silence. "I don't know, Butterfly, that's something you would know best." I try not to be supercilious and sarcastic in normal conversation, but in that case I can't imagine any other way I could have said it. It was so uncalled for!

That's when I realized that I do indeed have boring bitches in my life. There are no two ways around it: even with all of Butterfly's good points, she is less cool. She has less to offer than some of my other friends, and sometimes, she is straight up a bad time.

The worst part of happened as I was dropping her off at the end of the night. It was still the same bull-fuckery as the Her Boy stuff earlier that evening, but it was even worse because my gas bill was at stake. "Good night, and let's hang out soon," I'd say...and it would turn into this long continuation about her life and her relationship, and how we haven't met Her Boy yet! "Okay, you'll have to bring him out when you're done with your EXAMS...good luck studying," I'd say, as a way of hinting. No dice, the oblivious one would not get out of my car. I should have turned off my engine then, but I reconsidered because I didn't want her to read that as an invitation to stay in my car and jabber indefinitely. Then I just went with the awkward silence and nodding. Eventually that worked...but not all that fast, and not until I gave up and turned off my engine, because I could not keep her going on my dime, with gas prices the way they are. For Christ's sake, learn to get a clue! No one loiters in a running vehicle for 5 minutes at a time. 1 minute is the TOPS.

I'm so brassed off about that. The funny thing is, I might have just let it slide and excused her annoying ways yet again - but there's no demanding mistress like cold hard cash.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hahahaha. You gotta tell me later who this is.

10:07 AM, June 28, 2008  
Blogger Rex said...

It's the "fat" one. Normally I'd disagree with you about the weight, but she's since bragged that she's gained 15 pounds because she hangs out with Her Boy all the time and they eat really American food, like the bleu cheese and potato casserole, to which he added 3 more cheeses (cheddar, parmesan, and something else)... And WHY do I know this?? Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!! It pisses me off that I even have that information.

10:57 PM, June 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home