Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reckless

What a weird fucking melodrama. I love me some Jean Harlow, but it's still a pretty psychotic movie, and I'm sorry to say that the Harlow isn't much for the (lip) singing and dancing. In the end she can do no wrong, of course, but I do wish she were more of the bad girl. The theme song had raised my hopes:

Jean:
What'll you ever be?
What'll you ever do?
How will you ever know
if you don't take a chance?

Chorus:
You have got to gamble with fate

Jean:
I wanna live, love, learn a lot
I'll light my candle
And I'll burn a lot

Chorus:
You'll have some bad shots, hard knocks

Jean:
I'm on my own if I bruise

Chorus:
And there'll be smiles here, shouts here

Jean:
And I can take it on the chin if I lose
Because I'm reckless

Chorus:
She's simply reckless

Jean:
Reckless!

Chorus:
She's simply reckless

Jean:
I'm gonna go places and look life in the face

Jean (Singing):
When I'm in love
I'm reckless
Each time in love
I'm more reckless
I won't go weeping
For lost romances
I pay my losses
And I take new chances

I'm reckless
And I don't want advice
I'll keep on seeking my own paradise
I waste no weeping
I just keep hoping
For one who's hoping for me

-Chorus girl dance sequence-

Jean:
I've made my mind up
That I'll wind up
I'll take what's coming to me

I've been around
It's been, why advertise
I have lived
And I've loved
What is life
Without love?

Keep your feet on the ground
All my friends have advised
If you'll fight, you will fall
So I fight, and I fell
Every time my heart beats calmly

Etc.

PS - I forgot to mention the best part of this movie: Margaret Dumont, famed of the Marx Brothers, has an breathtaking cameo as a theatergoer who gets up and shouts, "GET OFF THE STAGE!" So perfect! That woman is a gem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home