Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Surf Day, Encounters, Lines

Monday was a perfect surfing day. The waves were fun and peaky and not closed out, the weather was beautiful, the beach was populated though the lineup was empty, and best of all, the lifeguards are back on duty, ie shark lookout. I also did not too shabbily on the surfboard, which was a nice surprise since I haven't been out in about 3 months. I'm looking forward to getting back out there, as soon as I give my burn a bit of a break. The heat around here inland is intolerable, so I have to escape to the coast.

Interesting encounter at the beach: a perfect stranger initiated a conversation...so that he could insult me!

"Was it you out there surfing?"
"It was me trying.:
"Did you get up?"
"A few times."
"No way, I didn't think you'd be able to! I told my kids, she's never gonna get up."
"Uh...bye."

Why the fuck are you talking to me?? Keep that insight to yourself, for fuck's sake. I don't understand what makes people think that kind of behavior is okay.

The weird thing about it is his wife proceeded to continue this conversation, after I blew them off, as if we were friends. She started asking me stuff like if I learned to surf myself and if I'm a local. I can't make heads or tales out of this. Did they not realize that they had just insulted me?

There was another memorable encounter that day, of quite a different ilk. It confirmed to me how right I am when I'm a risktaker, because rejection will almost never be as bad as regret. But that day at the beach, I was shy for whatever reason, and I was not a risktaker. A HOT guy was biking by me as I was washing off my wetsuit, and we clearly made eye contact. Then he kept biking, and then he looked back at me again, and then he kept biking before he and his friend pulled over to rest by the bathroom (but didn't go in). I was heading to the bathroom myself (also not to go in; I needed to use the sink for my contacts), and I should have said something as I walked by. I should have said "hi." But I didn't, and now I'm kicking myself, because the dude was smoking.

Anyways. Next time. Tis better to have balls. Even if nothing comes out of it, as is inevitably the case.

Speaking of chance flirting, I thought I'd start logging some of the better pick up lines - or rather, conversation entries, because I think of "lines" as more like jokes - I've heard. Initiation is the toughest part, because that's the time when they don't know you from Adam, and you can't win them over with your wit yet.

At the airport:
This one was interesting, because it came from the security checkpoint dude. It was totally unexpected: he looked and talked like a lovechild between Ben Stein and someone from the Addams Family, and yet his line was probably the best of the bunch.

"What modeling convention are you on your way to?"

Comical, topical, complimentary, and not creepy (which is saying a lot, because the person himself was easily creepy).

At a club:
"Hi, how are you? I've been wanting to say that for a while, but I was too intimated to talk to you. But then I saw that guy coming over, so I had to take a risk before he did."

A little squirrely, but also very, very complimentary. The line even evokes this idea of a rival - fictional or otherwise - to reinforce that you're extra special. Plus, you can't blow off a guy into oblivion who makes himself that vulnerable. Even if you escape eventually, you at least have to give him a couple minutes.

At a gas station - by ME! - after he said something I didn't get the first time:
"I'm sorry, I sort of missed that. Hot guys make me nervous."

Okay, so here's the sad news: none of these lines were successful, in the long-term sense. But I maintain that they're still good, and I'm rather proud of my own little bit on ingenuity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cephalopod said...

nice. The modelling convention was the best one. But knowing me, I'd be like, "oh, no, I'm going to the archaeology convention!" Totally wouldn't have gotten the pick up line.

10:22 PM, June 19, 2008  
Blogger Rex said...

I loved the modeling convention one too.

Ahem...Yeah I Could Ride a Horse was convinced that no one could appreciate it...

10:23 AM, June 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home