Wednesday, April 09, 2008

All Play and No Work Makes Rex a Dull Boy

I've been so exhausted from all the partying that I lost the willpower and the brainpower to write my thoughtful reflections. Here's a stripped-down summary of the goings-on of this past week:

1. Got really sick of driving.

2. Drove to Vegas on Thursday morning, hit the pool at Paris, ate dinner, played the nickel poker slots, went to Tao, stood in line for 1.5 hours, finally got in, oohed and ahhed at the interior decorating, realized the DJ sucked and the men were fug, left after about 1.5 hours, made plans to got a strip club but never made it, passed out, woke up, hit the jacuzzis again, drove home, passed out. All told, made a 60% profit from gambling: $2 in, $3.20 out.

3. Ibid #1.

4. Saturday, reported for work, got paid my pittance for proctoring the test. It feels vaguely illegal: I get paid $8/hour for proctoring, which is a lot lower than the rate I signed on for as a teacher, and yet it's not an option for me to say that it's worth my time only to teach and NOT to proctor. In other words, they COERCED me into taking sub-minimum wage job.

5. Saturday night, partied with high school friends and UCLA law students. Ibid #1 and 3, especially because I had to drive to the airport earlier that day.

6. Some quality time with my beloved Law & Order. Wrote an email.

7. Tuesday, slammed my finger in a door. It's turning purple under the nail, which is frickin uncomfortable.

8. Tuesday night, first teaching lesson. It didn't go as well as I would have liked. For one thing, I just don't get the Kaplan system, with all their online signing-in resources and their required assignments and their shoddy methods, so I'm kind of up a shit creek when the students ask me for clarification.

9. Today: my shiny new NAVIGATOR arrived! I'm what the French would say is TRES excited.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cephalopod said...

What kind of Navigator are you talking about? Like, a Lincoln Navigator? is it going to cost you like, a lot of money to gas up? ?

A sailor/pilot?

10:03 PM, April 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home