Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Snubbed by David Johansen!

If you know me, you know that David Johansen is pretty much my raison d'etre. I love everything about him, to the point where it defines me. Well, last Sunday I saw the "reunited" Dolls play and I stuck around afterwards hoping to catch a glimpse of my adoration. I did, and I finally got to introduce myself to Johansen. I asked for an autograph, and he was nice enough to oblige. I was about to ask him for a picture next, but he turned his back to me while I was in mid-sentence, and started talking to someone else!

Snubbed by my hero! Seriously, that is humbling. I suppose I'm not as cute or as charming as I thought. Well, such reminders are good for me, and I'd even say it's good for my love. Isn't it true that we love those to whom we are insignificant? Cf. God.

Still, grapes get sour with that kind of treatment. I can freely say now that I was not a fan of Sunday's performance. About half the songs were from their new album...which I guess is fair, but honestly: WHO COMES TO HEAR THE NEW SONGS?

It was a busy weekend. On Monday I saw This Is Hell again at the Knitting Factory. It was a lot of fun, even though Hollywood is a bit of a nightmare; at least there was a bar. On Saturday I saw Norm McDonald at the Improv. Good show! I had insisted that we go to the first performance, because the only other standup I've seen was Tracy Morgan, and he was incoherently drunk by the time I saw him go on at 11...but it turns out that precaution was unnecessary, since Norm doesn't drink. He isn't an alcoholic either, as he stressed in his jokes. It was a good batch of jokes, including some edgy/questionable material: child-fuckers, gay pride, and funerals. I won't attempt to record them here, since a lot of it was in the delivery, but I'll share some of the jokes from the opening comedian. His set ups were a little obvious, but the jokes were good, so that makes him pretty amenable to the sound byte:

"My girlfriend is pregnant. Aw, thanks. We're really nervous, because it's our first abortion... Hey, it's a joke! Really, I was only kidding, because I got a vasectomy. That means if I have a kid, it'll come out blank."

"How about that make-up sex? Make-up sex is wild! She'll get all crazy and start screaming things you've never heard, like, Untie me!"

"Are you guys all warmed up now? Are you ready for a night of comedy? Good, because I got a lot of material."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home