Friday, March 30, 2007

Things Go Well in the Life o' Rex

1. I got a verbal promise to teach for Great Books next year! It was a half-assed thing I asked about because I really didn't want to teach for Sports in the Ancient World (jock class), or Latin (I would have broken down and cried), and though my own background is totally perfect for the course, I knew that the professor gets along much better with boys than with girls, so I thought it was kind of a long shot, especially when he murmured something about departmental politics in assigning GSIs, but I should go ahead and send in my CV anyways... It happened that I didn't have a CV, so I took my time with it. Imagine my surprise when I get a phone call this afternoon, and it's the professor urging me to hurry up with my application! He told me that the job is mine as long as I get the paperwork done. Later today I mentioned this to Boom Boom, and he said that it was actually a pretty big deal for Prof. Cameron to give me the green light - you know, what with the XX and all. I give credit to my conference paper last week (Cameron is the one who called it "very smart"); it's good to know that my efforts were not in vain, but already have saved me from a fate worse than death.

2. I think I may have found my home for next year (barring the credit problem resulting from Comcast's incompetencies). It's bigger than my place now, and cheaper, still close to downtown, and even closer to campus. I really hope this Comcast thing does not fuck me over.

3. All indications from that streak of personality tests (taken yesterday, before 1 or 2 came to light) say that I'm generally a very happy person. Isn't that funny? I feel angry and depressed a lot of the time, so I can't imagine how terribly excruciating the whole circus of life must be for the people who are truly unhappy. I almost can't understand why they would go on living...until I think of death, and how it is a graver horror than any hell-vision I could imagine (no consciousness!). In fact, it's the only thought that truly makes me feel ambitious, as per the white room test. A (different) personality test mentioned that I'm a person of low agency (so true!), so if I ever achieved anything that my mom didn't do for me, it's because of my fear of death.

For those of you who are interested, here's my whole profile for the one test. Surprises include: openness, empathy (ahem, Que-Ni), femininity, and aesthetic.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Da said...

congrats!!!

8:57 PM, March 30, 2007  
Blogger Da said...

oh and btw, this is mine =)
dna

8:59 PM, March 30, 2007  
Blogger Rex said...

No way, I have way less agency than you!

9:45 PM, March 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home