Thursday, March 22, 2007

Life Lesson from a Surfer

I've been having a week from hell. In addition to all the stress that's been going down for a whole month now, my professors have started to get on my back about really, really stupid and unreasonable and, frankly, INSANE passive-aggressive issues they have about me, and I feel like they're all just out to get me when they really should be supporting my ass. It's very frustrating, and if you haven't heard about it yet it's only because the shit pile is so high I wouldn't even know where to start.

So anyways, I was reading my TransWorld Surf magazine (I have a free subscription) in the bathroom and I came across a little Q&A from some random surfer I don't know and don't really care about, but it was interesting to me because a lot of his responses had to do with disappointments and humbling moments, and the times when he ate it and stuff, in the world of competitive surfing. He also got the question, "What was the last lesson you learned?" to which he answered: "Acceptance." That got me thinking. I should stop being so angry about everything. That knowledge comes so clearly to you when you're in the ocean, and you're a suck-ass surfer like me, and the waves do whatever the hell they want and there's nothing you can do about it except try your best to keep up. Outside the water you get this false impression that there is something you can do about everyone trying to bring you down, but in the end I know it's going to be a losing fight and I'm just going to make myself furious resisting all the assholes in my life, who are immune against anything I can do. Maybe acceptance is not the can-do attitude right now - and all the advice my friends have been giving is that I should stand up for myself more - but what do you do when everyone in your world is talking crazy? I would love to have a fair chance, but really, people suck so hard in general that it's like fat chance of that ever happening.

Well, like surfing, it wouldn't be fun if it weren't humbling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home