Monday, November 14, 2005

Revision on the Numbers

I consulted with a graduate student who's on the job market this year and I found out the figures I gave before are on the low side. The average pay for a new Ph.D is $45K; the lowest ones are around $40K, and the highest one is $52K. Cost of living affects the pay, so that if you live in a big expensive city, you get the double advantage of getting more dough and living in a big city.

The question is: so why do so many people choose to take these ass jobs in Hicksville, USA? I guess it's a matter a preference. Some people don't have a problem with places I would definitely have a problem with, like my brother's friend is totally enamored with Alaska, and I know a guy who chose to go to a school in Michigan over an equally good school in California. Me, I don't think there's enough prestige in the world that will make me move to Iowa. But I guess that's what I'm saying now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaries are rarely 100% adjusted for cost of living. People are more willing to work in big cities, so the salary offer doesn't have to be as attractive.
If you compare salaries for professor positions with those in the Midwest, such as the one in your example, you will find that your salary will bring you about 50% of the purchasing power in California. Professors in California do not make salaries 2x the amount of their Midwestern peers.

9:52 AM, November 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home