Sunday, November 13, 2005

Reality Check

So I've been severely depressed lately, mostly because of this chosen career path. Some of the people on the job market this year said something like a starting-level position was giving $37.5K. I don't know what I was expecting ($45K?), but I was shocked by this amount. High school teachers make more than that, and so do a lot of other entry-level jobs that hire straight-out of college. I know for a fact, just to give two examples, that both an engineering post-doc and a regular industry number cruncher (analyzing psychological profiles of juries; straight out of college, non-degree-specific) make $60K - and the responsibilities and expertise required are far less than for, say, an assistant professor. So I started asking around, and one feedback I got (admittedly not the most experienced one) was that I'd be making $ in the 50s when I'm in my 50s.

WTF? This is poverty level. I could make as much, and sooner, by working up the ranks at my local Starbucks, and becoming a manager there. I feel like getting this advanced degree would be worth it only if I was making at least 60 when I'm in my 30s.

I'll have to get a second opinion on that. But meanwhile it got me thinking about how career-driven everyone is in this profession, and how a lot of women would find it absolutely ridiculous to put a bump in their momentum by having kids and stuff. Would I be willing to sacrifice a real life for $37.5? Hell no! But then I would consider that one needs a man before one can start a family and kids, and I've never been able to keep a man, so maybe I should stop blaming the profession for my simply being pathetic...

On the other hand, I can't shake the feeling that this academic environment IS holding me back, because who the fuck am I going to meet while I'm here? Weird autistic people, that's who.

But to end on a happier note: I had a positive little reality check last night when, brooding over these melancholy thoughts, I browsed through some of the stuff on monster.com. Truly, there isn't a job out there that doesn't suck. So maybe I made the right choice after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home