Tuesday, April 12, 2005

6 Nights, 250ish New People

You'd think I would have learned something interesting from all these conversations I've had for the past jillion hours, with such a variety (supposedly) of women. How sad it is that I haven't. Either I'm the most interesting thing in the sorority system, or (more likely) I couldn't keep my mouth shut the whole time and let them get a word in edgewise. Oops. My bad. Steve Buschemi's character in Fargo.

I did manage to carry on a few conversations about biological research in the coral reefs, real estate investment opportunities, and bulimia, all of which are not in the Complete Snore catagory. However, I feel like I drew most of my material from NPR, personal experience, and NY Times, respectively.

Speaking of Steve Buschemi, there's a great bit of irony in a short film by Scorsese, anthologized in New York Stories. This film is about an aging painter (Nick Nolte) waxing jealous/desirous over his young protegee/mistress (one of the Arquettes), who is in love with a young performance artist (Buschemi). Seeing a poster of Buschemi enshrined on Arquette's wall, Nolte observes - with jealous wrath - "He's a good-looking kid."

It's supposed to be a scene eloquent of a man's impotent lust...but my friend and I were howling with laughter when Nolte said, with a perfectly straight face, that line about Buschemi and good looks - Steve Buschemi, whom we concluded was possibly the ugliest man in the world, without having any obvious setback like deformity or fatness. We suspect Scorsese threw that in there on purpose, for comic irony.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That WAS funny, wasn´t it?? You should also mention something about the trainwreck that was Coppola´s Life Without Zoe.

8:56 AM, April 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home