Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Walker

I'm looking outside my window at a dude who looks like he could be Cal Watkins, with whom I went out for beer once. But who doesn't look like that at that age, right? Time, the great equalizer, makes us all vaguely resemble each other, so that we at least look like the one giant brotherhood we should be, as humanity, even if we failed to learn those life lessons that would make us feel like one in fact. Aside: I read somewhere an observation that women become more like men (mustachioed, etc.) and men become more like women (high-pitched voice, etc.) as they get older. This man is not Cal because, as I see now, he is using a walker. His patient grandson walks beside him.

It makes me think of a conversation I had once with Marcus F, my long-time mentor and the kindest man in the world, though he'd be mortified to hear me say it (it's a virility thing; needless to say, I take every opportunity I get to tell him how nice he is). We were talking about the suicide frequency at Cornell, and Marcus said, "I'd rather be toothless and homeless, infested with fleas, and lying in the gutter, than dead." I think I feel the same way. Watching the old man on his walker take 10 minutes to walk about 20 feet, I started asking myself whether I'd rather be old and decrepit, or die while I'm still young and pretty...

Old and decrepit, of course! It's a privilege to get that far.

4 Comments:

Blogger GyangBang said...

Hey Rex. Here are some comments I would have made on your blog, if I werent busy being overly concerned about my life.

In no particular order..

1.) I don't care what anyone says, I hate Woody Allen.

2.) On the flip side of the Shiavo case. She was a waste of space. There are a lot of people in the world that waste space, but we can't just go kill them b/c of it. Sometimes the lord works in mysterious ways. LOL! Sigh this sounds like something my mom would say. Can't believe I actually thought it! Again.. my self-absorption can get the best of me. I'm working on it.. really..

3.) Neocons! I have a vague idea of what it is to be a neoconservative. I think these girls are only neocons for the time being. They did get into Stanford after all. Which means that they're most likely from wealthy backgrounds, but somehow redeemed themselves by feeding soup to the homeless on the weekend. I give these girls a few years after college. They'll be regular ol conservatives by then.

Ok I think thats it...

5:32 PM, April 05, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

Ah, the "waste of space" argument doesn't work on me! I'm strongly opposed to even the death penalty - and those guys are usually one step worse than people who do nothing. I have some more thoughts on this that I may write later...

3:20 AM, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

Huh? What is this "Stanford" you speak of?

3:23 AM, April 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rex, I think there is some confusion among some of your readers, and I believe that I'm partially to blame.
I likened Ann Arbor to Palo Alto, and I believe people assumed you were in Palo Alto at Stanford.
I used the reference because you had mentioned that you were Californian and I thought it would be a comparison what would be meaningful for you. For the record, I don't know what school you attend.
Also, for the record, I don't care what anyone says, I love Woody Allen movies. Even the bad ones have some wonderful quirkiness.

9:04 AM, April 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home