Saturday, April 02, 2005

Controversy Around Schiavo

I was surprised when I realized that I come down on the side of the religious right in those debates about Terri Schiavo's right to live. A yellow dog liberal, I almost always agree with the party line. However, I was even more surprised to find that our judicial system - so fascist in every other regard - did not agree with me on this one question. The point of difference seems to be that I don't view this as a matter of family rights vs. goverment interference. No matter what the next of kin says, you simply cannot kill a person. Terri Schiavo was not so far gone as to be considered a human vegetable, I think, since she could breathe on her own and wasn't on quote-unquote life support. Essentially, she had to be starved to death. There are plenty of people in this world who can't feed themselves - like, say, BABIES - and it wouldn't be so far from murder if we let them die in the same way.

On the other hand, we let lots of people around the world die every day because of starvation. So who's to say what is hypocrisy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home