Wednesday, April 30, 2008

More BD Wong

This dude is everywhere (that's not respectable). In 1986 he had a bit role in The Karate Kid Part II as the Okinawan villiager who fobbily invites the Karate Kid and his lady friend to a dance. Man, what a depressing time to be an Asian American actor. It reminds me of the bit role Lucy Liu had in the X-Files as the fobby daughter of a Chinatown man who's part of an organ-gambling ring.

Why am I watching this movie? I must hate myself. Crass sequels to a shallow eighties hit...rock bottom.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly is organ gambling? Like, normal gambling, except that the ante is your kidney, rather than your money?

1:48 PM, April 30, 2008  
Blogger Cephalopod said...

BD was also the weirdly accented assistant to Martin Short in the Father of the Bride movies with Steve Martin. Thank god he's got that SVU gig--passport out of fob ghetto. I wonder how many people know what a fob is?

10:11 PM, April 30, 2008  
Blogger Rex said...

Yeah! Father of the Bride is exactly the other one I was thinking of. I guess technically BD Wong wasn't a fob in the Karate Kid II, but since all Okinawans apparently spoke English, I'm going to put them in the fobbable category.

The organ-gambling ring, according to the X-Files, is basically what you imagined. I think everyone bids for a money prize that will be won by one person (lotto style), but that money comes from someone giving up an organ if his name gets drawn out of a hat. Then another lotto is drawn to see if you lose an eye, kidney, liver lobe, or heart (= death).

1:27 AM, May 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home