Friday, January 25, 2008

Capricorn, After All

I always thought it was biggest load of horseshit that my horoscope would sing praises about how organized and disciplined I am. Haha! I'm such a flake, I'd rely on everyone else I know before I start relying on myself. But apparently it's all a sliding scale. Today's job interview got cancelled because of an "emergency meeting," said the phone call I got less than two hours before the appointment, while I was on the road (having woken up 2 hours before that for hair, makeup, and breakfast). It's rescheduled for Tuesday, so everything's not a complete unfortunate mess yet, but still I'm starting to lose my faith in how the world manages to function. I'm not very organized, but I'm also not THAT disorganized. If someone writes me an important (business) email, I respond, usually within minutes or hours. If I have an appointment to meet someone, I keep it. Okay, I concede it's pretty acceptable to call 2 hours before and notify the person if you have an emergency...but really, are there so many emergencies in the world? Maybe it's just me, I never have such important stuff come up that it can't wait. I get held up a lot, and I'll arrive late, or there have been rare occassions of medical or safety emergencies...

While I'm puzzling over how it is that the world works, I'm reminded of the mystery of canine survival. You assume that before dogs and people started to cohabitate, dogs were perfectly competent at taking care of themselves. That's why, when my dog got a little injury the first time (it was a cut in his paw; he had been running around in the rose bushes), I figured he'd take care of it and the cut would heal just like any other. But a few days later, it had gotten far worse; the dog kept licking it until it got bigger and more painful. Finally we had to bind it up so that he couldn't bother it.

Now my dog has another never-ending wound, because he won't leave it alone. He got into a scuffle last week at the dog park, and though I saw some displaced fur, there was no blood, so I figured it was no big deal. The next day he showed a big soaking gash on his back. Now I know it's because his licking tore up the wound overnight. We disinfected it and assumed we fixed the problem, but no. Finally, yesterday, I succumbed to getting one of those tragic-looking head cones for the dog.

As I look at him, looking so uncomfortable and unnatural in that cone, I think, (1) you totally brought this on yourself, and (2) in the wild, if you were to get hurt, would that mean you'd continue bleeding non-stop until the day you died?

2 Comments:

Blogger Cephalopod said...

Oh, poor K! I think animals do give themselves a lot of infections and stuff, but I think the other thing is that opening up the wound and hopefully letting it bleed a little is their way of flushing out germs. But it's a good thing he has a cone on. Poor thing. :( People sometimes call it an Elizabethan collar, like that makes it more glamorous. Maybe you can bedazzle it, or put stickers of your favorite bands on it, so he'll know that he's still street.

11:47 AM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Rex said...

Yeah, his street cred must be shot to hell. Every time he rumbles with another dog, I get the feeling he's losing. Poor lil fella.

4:02 PM, January 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home