Tuesday, January 22, 2008

If you want something done, get a busy person to do it

This blog is an excellent example of that adage: ever since I've become wholly unbusy, I've stopped blogging. Meanwhile, when I was busy, I'd spend the whole afternoon with this useless enterprise, so that I'd have to stay up all night finishing up the important stuff. Part of the problem is the sheer inertia of doing nothing, but there's also that aspect of my becoming more mentally sluggish, so I have less to say.

All in all, life is good. I'm not stressed about the present or worried (too much) about the future, and I'm not depressed. The days get a bit lonely and boring, but I manage to divert myself reasonably well. I've been surfing a lot, and I find simply beautiful that I'm able to do that in the middle of a sunshiny day in the middle of a winter week, in California. That kind of lifestyle was not meant for this world for long.

Sunday: the whole day was spent surfing, shopping, dining, and napping. A quintessential OC day. I also got on a motorcycle for the first time in like 20 years, and it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life. Only last year's bat-in-apartment incident terrified me more. It's not the falling off part that's scary (I wore leather for that very precaution), it's the part where the other cars start running over you after you fall off (which no amount of leather or helmet can shield).

I may have two jobs soon. The extra income would great, and it would be a nice balance between going out for (part time) work and working from home. I have an interview this Friday with the lsat teaching job, and I'm in the middle of my first freelance writing assignment for the SAT prep program. I suppose technically neither job is in the bag yet, but I'm optimistic that I won't blow at least one of them.

I asked my parents to remind me later that I have an interview on Friday morning. My mom said that she was going to let me sleep in so that I'll finally learn my lesson and start waking up earlier. Oh no, I replied, getting up isn't the biggest problem. I'm more worried about losing track of the days and not realizing when it's Friday. Time has no movement when you're unemployed.

Luckily there's tv to help us layabouts structure the week. Tonight is the new Law and Order SVU. Unfortunately for me, that's about the only network show I make a schedule for. I often end up watching Ugly Betty on Thursdays, but I'm indifferent to it.

Yesterday I saw Gallows play at Chain Reaction. I think it was my first hardcore show, which I soon discovered is a mere euphemism for "injury lawsuit waiting to happen." There was a point when my right arm got caught in the mosh pit, and I had to twist all kinds of muscle from bone to get my arm back - and I was one of the people avoiding the pit. It still hurts a little. What irritates me is that way the people onstage get all unhappy if people are standing still, and egg on the moshers more. It's not a reflection on their performance; it's just that different people have different preferences for enjoying the show.

I really liked the opening band: This Is Hell.

Observation: short people gravitate toward punk. I've had this thought before. I was about 5'8" in shoes yesterday, and I towered over men/boys and women/girls alike. I was at least half a head taller than 2/3 of the people there. Perhaps it's because they haven't finished growing yet, but it looked like almost everyone was post-pubescent. In fact, I was surprised by the relatively older crowd; usually Chain Reaction, an all-ages, no-bar venue, totally draws the Pimple Squad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home