Saturday, January 12, 2008

Red Dragon

What a letdown. They should have called it Silence of the Lambs Part 2, because they didn't change a single thing about the plot. I was looking forward to this movie because I thought it was going to be about the capture of Hannibal Lecter - the story goes Hannibal was a practicing psychiatrist whom an FBI agent was consulting in order to profile and catch a serial killer...only to realize that the doctor was the very killer he was hunting. But that plot was merely a 5 minute prologue to the movie, and the rest of it was about how the FBI agent visits Hannibal in his cell (like Silence/Lambs) to get clues about a different serial killer (like Silence/Lambs) who happens to be obsessed with self-transformation (like Silence/Lambs), and to do this job, the FBI agent endures the creepy inquisitiveness of the psych mastermind (like Silence/Lambs).

The truth is it wouldn't have been a bad movie, except for the villain. It was suspenseful enough. I was mostly irked by the total lack of originality.

But yes, the villain was definitely a problem. He made no sense. There was no why nor wherefore to his actions. He kills families, targeting the mother, because...it will make him the Red Dragon? He eats the Blake print because...he wants to stop being the Red Dragon? He has to kill his girlfriend, who is not a wife and mother like his other victims, because...the Red Dragon tells him to? Why the hell would the Red Dragon tell him to do that?

1 Comments:

Blogger Cephalopod said...

Ha hah! but you know what, when I saw this in the theater, I FREAKED out, because the people with the glass/mirror eyes freaked me out. I hate the idea of no eyes. It's so scary. And then, some kind of torture thing I think had me grossed out. But it was really funny because I was talking to Ben a few months ago, and then he was saying something and he started in on the "do you see?" business. Hah ha. I heard that "Manhunter", a movie from the 80s, is also based on the Red Dragon book but is actually better as a movie. I don't know, I haven't seen it.

2:10 PM, January 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home