Wednesday, July 11, 2007

No Wonder He Didn't Like Me Back

I got one of those illuminating emails from Asshole #1 a few days ago, the amusing kind that reveals a little part of how the rest of the world might see you:

'http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/fashion/08librarian.html
for some reason, this article made me think of you. i guess i can see you as the ultimate "hep cat" librarian?'

The article goes on to describe this new breed of hipster librarians who are nerds by day, and bar-lounging, rock concert-going, technologically savvy, socially activist, socially exclusive intellectuals by night (one of them even calls himself Jeff Buckley - true story). It asks questions like, 'How did such a nerdy profession become cool — aside from the fact that a certain amount of nerdiness is now cool?' before answering it with observations about the job as ideological resistance to the Patriot Act, and a good money-maker for the Greenwich Village types who are really writers waiting for their big break.

I may be a writer waiting for my big break. I may read boring difficult books. But I'm definitely not an activist (mostly I'm barely even informed), and I'm about as far away from technologically savvy as possible. Furthermore, though the article doesn't state it, I'm almost certain that these librarians run half-marathons and practice yoga, so there's no way I'd ever be admitted into their exclusive little group.

But more to the point is my intense intolerance for geeks, and if Asshole #1 missed that, I'd say he had a pretty crazy idea about who I was. I would never giggle about the joys of being a geeky intellectual, or make jokes about the Dewey decimal system! Suddenly it all makes sense: I would have dumped me too if I thought I was such a rodeo clown.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As proof that you're not one of these people, you referred to them as "Greenwich Village types." But, no! The Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn has been the real hipster central (the Village being far too expensive) for at least 4 or 5 years now! So fear not, you're not ready to be lumped in with Jeff "Let's All Roll Our Eyes In Unison" Buckley just yet.

4:59 PM, July 16, 2007  
Blogger Rex said...

No no you got it all wrong. Williamsburg is the place in Virginia where you can wear a tricornered hat and role play blacksmithing, or the First Continental Congress.

10:11 PM, July 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home