Sunday, November 12, 2006

Bacchylides 17 - translation for my paper

[Theseus to Minos:]

Whatever all-powerful fate assigns to us from the gods and however the scales of Justice lean, we will fulfill the doom that has been given to us, whenever it comes. But you, check your unbearable intention. Although the dear daughter of Phoenix, maiden among mortals and lovely of name, bore you, mingling in the bed of Zeus under Ida's ridge, even so the daughter of wealthy Pittheos bore me after being approached by the sea-lord Poseidon, and the violet-haired Nereids gave her a golden veil. Therefore I urge you, warlord of the Knossians, to restrain your hubris, the cause for much groaning; for I would not wish to see the lovely immortal light of Dawn, if you should overpower any of these youths against her will. I will sooner show violence from my hands; and a god will decide the outcome of future events.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home