Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wild Strawberries

There is something very odd and fascinating about this movie, and I think it has a lot to do with the way the characters interact with each other, or, how some of them don't interact with each other at all in any way that makes sense. I posit one of three theories:

1. I personally don't understand the conventions of 1950-Sweden's social interactions.
2. Swedish people are crazy.
3. The oddity of it all was aimed to make a very deep statement.

Right now I'm inclining towards 3, although it needs some further reflection before I'm sure. At any rate, Wild Strawberries wasn't awfully depressing the way the other Berman movies I saw (Seventh Seal, Fanny and Alexander) were. It is in fact lyrical and elegant (in spite of the rude/hurtful/egomanical way the characters treat each other), so I'd like to believe that the discomfort I felt with the movie had to do with the density of its pathos.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

waiting for godot?

11:28 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

No, his weirdness must be blamed on France. And in general, cowardice, too.

10:35 PM, November 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked the movie! BTW, weren't Swedish chicks in the 50s so much hotter than their American counterparts?

9:17 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

You mean like...Marilyn Monroe? I don't THINK so.

3:56 PM, November 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marilyn wasn't that hot!

9:49 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

Whatever! You're a towel.

12:12 AM, November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home