Friday, November 03, 2006

"Why try to save ten bucks and look like a complete douchebag?"

Another colleague is on my shit list, one who I thought, for a moment, was cool. After I had failed my Latin exam, this person gave one of the few appropriate responses, which was, "If you'd like, I'll read with you every week until you take your next exam." I was very grateful for the offer, so last Monday when we went to the watering hole to read, I bought his beers.

Today we gave it another try, but I wasn't feeling 100% and didn't have my act together. First I forgot to bring a text, then I went back to the department library to grab a copy of Metamorphoses VIII, only to find after I had returned to the bar that I instead got Metamorphoses XIII. At that point, I decided that it wasn't meant to be, and I really didn't want to do it anyways, so we decided just to hang out for a little bit.

As we were closing out I said, "Hey, I don't have yours this time, if that's okay."

"Well...it's not like it's my fault we didn't end up reading."

Stare.

"Do you mean to tell me that if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have been drinking all this time anyways?"

"I probably would have gone someplace closer to my house..."

And then he proceeded to stay for an extra 2 hours. MY friend from out of town (though part of our program here) is visiting, and we joined her party afterwards. I went home for a little bit, but the douchebag stayed, though clearly unwelcome; when I came back my friend met me outside with a "WHY IS HE STILL HERE???"

Yeah, I'm sure his Friday afternoon was in such demand that I was holding him back from something better, and in fact I deserved to pay a CANCELLATION penalty for his time!

I told this story to everyone, and one of them offered to replace this douchebag as my Latin tutor (the author of the title quote, in fact). I mean, if I'm going to be buying someone's services, I might as well be picky about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen many a time before. Some people are petty - so, so petty. If I decide to go out, I know there's usually money to be paid. If I'm feeling too cheap, I'm either up-front about that, or else I'll just decline. Making someone else pay for my stuff, particularly consumables like, say, food or gas or drinks, is just bad form nowadays. Besides, the whole Asian part of me "loses face" if I started mooching off of my friends.

1:05 AM, November 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home