Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Single Most Glorious Thing I've Seen in My Life

For some reason, I've been reading some of my old short stories and creative non-fiction works. FYI, it's always a trip to read things you wrote a long time ago. One thing that was especially a trip was a half-baked, more or less free association piece I wrote over a year ago, after I had seen the New York Dolls. Man, I was one depressed mf back then. But aside from that, I was reminded of something that transpired that night that was fierce and glorious, and blindingly amazing. I was so impressed with it even then that I wrote this piece around it. I'll just take a snippet from it, as follows.

Johansen made a joke about it. He administered some liquid drug (whose name I missed; I didn’t get the joke, therefore) to himself with an eyedropper and said, “I have a good reason for taking this. The reason is that I’m so fucking depressed it’s not fucking funny.” He smiled and shook his head.

“Dave, I don’t think they got it,” said Sylvain.

“I didn’t want them to get it,” Johansen cried. “Because every time they don’t laugh, it makes me STRONGER.”

And THAT right there is a diamond. The reason why David Johansen is a god, and why I, in my vain and childish insistence on cosmic justice, will never be anything more than a man (= human). I will be drawing inspiration from this moment for many years, I know.

Pain doesn't exist simply because, without it, we couldn't know how to appreciate pleasure. Pain exists because, as Heidegger says, it IS existence. In the strong sense, because pain is iconoclastic; original because it's not planned or controlled. In the weak sense, because it's the seed of all things funny, and derivatively, of all pathos. If it weren't for my pain, I would become what I despise: boring and putrid. A plastic trophy of no purpose.

2 Comments:

Blogger GyangBang said...

Its funny you talk about pain in your post. After I got waitlisted at UCLA I called my mom internationally and she consoled me for what had to be an hour. But there were a few things I took away from the conversation that meant a lot. "Pain gives you an immunity. I'm serious. When you've been kicked down and beaten up by life, you get up and you become stronger. The next time something painful comes it wont affect you as much. That's why I'm strong. Honey believe me, this life is rough. But everytime you get beat up by something, it makes you immune to it next time. So, learn from this. Go get some fresh air. Go eat. Then start planning for the next steps."

10:32 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

tI'm sorry to hear about the waitlist, but honestly I don't think it reflects anything bad (except that UCLA sucks!). I still maintain that graduate programs are a lot more specific, so that it could have simply been that there was an unusually high percentage of applicants this year who wanted to study babies; or, that UCLA sincerely feels that its program doesn't offer much in the way of babies; etc. UPenn waitlisted me last year because I had the qualifications - that's my version and I'm sticking to it! - but all their faculty were Latinists and I was a Hellenist (Greek). Because why would they bother to waitlist you if you're unqualified, right?

By the way, I think your mom is absolutely right. Life is one beating after another. Even those on top; every single person in whatever enviable place has had 10 zillion rejections before the one success.

Unless you're a tool, in which case everything comes easy. Except for the part where you have to live with yourself, haha!

11:45 PM, March 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home