Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Michael Vartan

I know, and you know, that the last thing I need is another obsession. I heard about Alias, and I knew myself well enough to avoid it (much like I avoided AIM for so long). But call it fate, or call it inevitable; a few weeks ago I was watching Never Been Kissed on ABC Family, of all things, because it was a Thursday or Friday night and I had nothing to do. The leading man was Drew Barrymore's SMOKING HOT, supportive, puppy-eyed teacher. I said, who is that heartbreaker, and why haven't I seen him before? So I did a little IMDB search and found that most of his career was taken up playing the smoking hot, supportive, puppy-eyed CIA "handler" (is that even a real word, or an inside joke?). With a debonaire cleft chin.

Danger!

Now I'm on spring break, and for once I'm not backed up on my workload, so I said, oh why the hell not! After all, I spent the whole of my Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks doing dvd marathons. There's nothing more satisfying than not having to stop as you're getting into the story. In fact, I'm not sure I could have watched Alias in real time; they are so good at writing cliffhangers at the end that it would have killed me to wait a whole week to find out what happens next.

Okay, so much for the good. The bad part of Alias is that they are wildly inconsistent with the risks and necessities of Sydney's situation.

1. SG-6 has the technology and manpower to trace Danny saying "spy" once on the phone, and they hunt him down like an animal. Meanwhile, they don't seem to be able to catch onto how suspicious it is that the same guy keeps calling Sydney's house every week asking for Joey's Pizza. And that immediately afterwards she leaves the house and "accidentally" bumps into and lingers around the same handsome stranger, and that they often make eye contact and, yes, are obviously conversing.
2. How did Sydney just waltz into the CIA office, orange hair and all, right after she left the SG-6 building? How is she able to sneak off to the warehouse to meet with Vaughn every other scene? How is she able to take off to Cuba or the Vatican on a whim?
3. How the heck is she pursuing a graduate degree?
4. How many agents does it take to figure out that none of them have any connection to the CIA? At first I bought that whole bit about how they are a covert branch, and can't be acknowledged. But then there was that episode when Dixon just casually sends an email to the CIA asking for backup. If they have access to all that contact info, doesn't it seem likely that they'd use it now and then?
5. What is the deal with the dad? With all the strings he's able to pull, you'd think he could take down the Alliance singlehandedly by now (except for that one odd episode when he seems to be hired exclusively as a goon (when he gets called into to beat out information from that guy)). Hell, I bet he could do it even without the CIA. What do they need Sydney for, anyway? And once you ask that crucial question, you realize that there's no need for the whole show.

Except, of course, without the show, you wouldn't have a chance to wear all those cool wigs.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, alias is like my favorite show. and it's SD-6. and jack is awesome, but he's only one man, and one man cannot take down an organization as formidable as the Alliance ;) unless you're Sloan.

2:21 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

Coherence theory, dude.

9:49 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

ps, thanks for not giving away any spoilers. I'm wondering if Jack is not a triple agent or a quadruple agent in the later seasons... I guess I'll find out soon!

pps, Jack is cool, but Vaughn is beautiful. That whole show could go to the toilet but I'll still watch it for him. A pretty unconvincing actor, however.

9:57 PM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

many share your sentiments about vaughn being the whole show. i personally cannot imagine how sydney pulls it off. it even convinced me to think about joining the CIA for half a second. but not to worry, i won't be working "at a bank" next year.

5:37 PM, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home