Monday, March 06, 2006

Meditation on Tools

rexbikini: you said you weren't bringing the bf?
gyangbang: yeah
gyangbang: i thought about it
gyangbang: and before i could make a decision my friend invited herself
gyangbang: for the fact that i mentioned that T and her fiance (whose name escapes me) are pretty well off
gyangbang: snobs, go figure
rexbikini: is she monied too, or just a fan?
gyangbang: monied too
gyangbang: only child no less
rexbikini: interesting. I didn't know it worked like a club
gyangbang: haha
rexbikini: but I probably shouldn't be so naive
gyangbang: the rich get richer
gyangbang: never understood that till i started seeing how that actually works
rexbikini: and the poor get children. No kidding, I thought it was an urban legend
gyangbang: HAHA
rexbikini: HDG thought there might be some Italian dignitaries at this wedding, because of T's dad's connections
gyangbang: Ah
rexbikini: which would make it a good place to make connections/snag a man/hook myself up with a summer villa
gyangbang: haha!
gyangbang: yeah thats why i let my friend invite herself
gyangbang: she's single, might find some use in it
rexbikini: see I joke about it, but yeah, I'm starting to think that's really how rich people work
gyangbang: it is!
gyangbang: they have a bunch of "secret" clubs and eltist get togethers
gyangbang: job offers based on who you know etc
gyangbang: so ridic
rexbikini: I know, it only encourages toolish behavior
gyangbang: haha
gyangbang: seriously
rexbikini: I was thinking that even in college, the whole democratic illusion starts to crumble, so that perhaps it would have been more useful for me to grow up with an ethos of toolishness instead of hard work
rexbikini: but now there's no turning back! I simply can't make myself become a tool
gyangbang: Ha!
gyangbang: yeah unless something traumatic happens at this age people either grow into better people or stay more or less the same
gyangbang: or at least thats what i'd hope
rexbikini: I dunno. I distinctly remember that as kids, we all used to beat up on the tools. But now they're being rewarded. I'm wondering: where are all these tools coming from suddenly? I thought we suppressed them long ago
gyangbang: HAHA
gyangbang: hm, my school beat up on nerds and social rejects
gyangbang: tools were praised for the most part
gyangbang: so i'm used to it
gyangbang: your school must have been pretty extrodinary
rexbikini: Interesting. So perhaps I'm an anomaly for my strong rx to tools?
gyangbang: i think so
gyangbang: hm actually
gyangbang: i think at some point in the past i had a strong reaction to tools
gyangbang: it was in high school
gyangbang: and i remember people getting rewarded for nothing more than being able to butter up a teacher
gyangbang: even though they sucked at life
gyangbang: and i thought, surely life will get better after high school
gyangbang: nope
gyangbang: then I read part of this book "Never sit alone"
gyangbang: where the guy gives tips on how to network
gyangbang: and when I talked to my boss about it she agreed
gyangbang: tools get the upperhand when they know how to work their toolishness the right way to the right people
rexbikini: by the "right people" you mean the people who aren't in an advantageous position to see right through it? Because I feel that once you notice it, it's unbearably annoying
gyangbang: no!
gyangbang thats the thing!
gyangbang: you would think the people they were sucking up to would KNOW
gyangbang: but there is something about having your ego stroked that makes you blind to reality apparently
gyangbang: b/c the people at the top positions must be smart enough to detect it
gyangbang: i think some do and hate tools
gyangbang: but A LOT dont or dont care

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg! gyangbang's friend invited herself? that's so crass! and, well, yes, i know there will be other dignitaries, and i suppose if i wanted to be a social climbing tool, i could prepare myself for the event and work it systematically. but then, yeah, i was not raised to be a tool.
also, at my high school, the classes were so small that the tools were easy to spot. i suppose if it were easier to get to know someone, and get reports and interact with them in multiple situations, their toolishness gets unmasked.

7:25 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

I'm glad someone agrees! I think I figured out why I'm so bothered by tools: it's the very idea that your relationship with them is interest-motivated. I may be flattered if someone starts acting toolish in my favor, but I doubt I'll ever like them because the very thing that bothers me is the problem that hypotheically will arise if I ever try to be friends with them.

Plus, it's super annoying watching someone try to get an edge over you, period.

Anyways, maybe you and I are the lucky ones. I too was raised in an environment where it was not okay to be a tool. Not so shielded anymore.

10:38 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger GyangBang said...

I think what is missing from a tool's character is genuity. Its weird because I think a lot of people I am friends with were raised to be "genuine" in their interactions with people and not fake it for one reason or the other. But I've met people who could give a rats ass about another person and I have always wonderd, How the F*&% did you get that way?? I see it a lot in the rich.. I think it has to do w/ their moms not being genuinely interested in them as children.. Just a random theory though :)

10:40 PM, March 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home