Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Clinton Era: A Qualification

I thought I should add that my blanket statement about the wretched music industry during the Clinton era applies only to rock. I don't know enough about other genres, either of that period or historically, to make an informed judgment about what was good and and what wasn't.

I will say this: HOW delightful was Boyz II Men?? I'm listening to them right now, and it's simply lovely. Some of the producing stuff sounds a little hokey from this vantage in time, but basically it's solid. Eighth-graders though we were, we were not crazy for loving them.

(Nor was I, personally, crazy for loving Dream Theater. God! Falling Into Infinity is still as good as ever. It came out in 1997, but went totally under the radar [hence not relevant to my theory about the cultural-political landscape; or so I will argue]. Even die-hard DT fans hate this album.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home