Sunday, May 15, 2005

Ow, My Knee

I went to the city to go see my rockabilly band again. As usual, the scene was unbearable, but I found some new things to appreciate. First, the dancing; it's nice to see people dancing to rock music. Second, one of the opening acts, the Badmen.

They mostly got heckled the entire time I saw them play - not because they sucked particularly, but because their frontman kept egging people on, and heckling them first. It got pretty ugly, involving the dude throwing shot glasses on the floor and hitting people with the flying glass, and the audience spraying beer or throwing ice cubes at him. And of course, the verbal insults ("You suck!" "I may suck but you swallow!")

At the end of their act, the frontman laid his big stand-up bass on its side, set it on fire, and then stood upon it screaming, "I'm a living legend! I'm a living legend!" Of course he lost his balance. Of course he fell not on his feet, but straight down sideways, like a tree being felled from the base. What broke his fall? His FACE crashing down on my knee (I was sitting on a barstool).

At the time I thought, OW! that's going to leave a bruise. But later, when I got up and started walking, I noticed that there was something definitely stiff about the joint. I wonder if my knee got sprained or dislocated by another person's HEAD. Wouldn't that be riot!

Yeah. So it's like the Badmen made my day. Certainly, they were the most surprising. I could use some surprises.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! See you tonight!

4:40 PM, May 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home