Sunday, March 06, 2005

Hair

It hit me yesterday that my hair felt like a big, tangled, woolly blanket, and I reached my threshold then, as I do every few months, and resolved to whack it. So I did, and I like it; all the visible layers are gone (ie it looks one length) and she put in a lot of layers underneath to make it feel lighter. Cute, but little shorter than I expected, and bangs definitely shorter than I expected. Then I chanced to look in the mirror and realized...I look just like one of my favorite professors, Andrea N! Great. Now everyone is going to think I'm trying to be her, trying to single white female her. Next week, I'll be meeting her best friend, a potential new professor for me, and Prof. Kathryn M will be horrified when she sees me. I'll have to wear a ponytail or something.

The woman who cut my hair, Lee, mentioned that she was soon going to have dual citizenship, U.S. and Swedish. I got misty when I heard that, because the best boy I ever had was Swedish, and hearing that reminder (just the word: Sweden!) made me miss him very much. His name means Beloved, but it was he who wore his heart on his sleeve, and was always giving. I adored him because I respected him. I'd never before (and certainly not since!) seen anyone so selfless and fearless with love. Lee said that boys in Sweden grow up fast because they have to join the draft when they're 18. Food for thought.

I took my cute new haircut with me tonight on my second date with Harpo Marx. Monkey Business - uproarious! though I feel like Horse Feathers was more compelling, a bit more natural. I might have gotten more into Monkey Business if I hadn't missed the first half-hour. I was about to skip my Marx brothers engagement altogether this weekend, when I realized I couldn't do it. And as I was sitting in the theater, I was SO glad I was there. There's something so quieting and joyful about these comedies, that I come away feeling happy and renewed and ready for the week, as if I had dipped my burning heart into a river. Or, as if I had a big hug from mommy. I'm in love with Harpo in the best way; the immortality of the artist is a strange thing.

I may never get around to discussing this again, so I'll briefly mention it now: Jean Cocteau's Orpheus. Excellent movie. My Latin class watched it together last Tuesday. At first I was outraged that the plot was nothing like the Orpheus plot, but now I'm thinking that that was the most brilliant move. It was more like an adaptation of motifs from the myth than of the myth itself. The movie centered around death, and the relationship between death and art. Again, the immortality of the artist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home