Sunday, February 27, 2005

My Interview with the FBI

I forgot to post an interesting little anecdote from last week:

On Thursday, I had a job interview with the FBI, mostly just for fun. Who knows, maybe they've read my blog before the interview (in which case, if they're still reading my blog, I may be getting myself into trouble this very minute!), because Special Agent M seemed to know that I was doing it just for fun. That is, he didn't ask me a single question about my qualifications, and spent the entire time trying to convince me why I would want to join the FBI. That's a strange pitch to give to someone who's already submitted a resume, don't you think?

Anyways, I don't know if this was a slip-up or something he did on purpose, just to freak me out. After we had talked a bit about how someone with my language and cultural background might be able to work within Korean-American communities, he asked me in a friendly manner if my family made our own kimchi. I answered that we had started to just recently, since my parents retired. And if I remember correctly, that's ALL I said; that my PARENTS were retired, and that they now had more time for things they couldn't do before.

Then Special Agent M said: "Your dad sounds like a fun guy. I'd like to meet him."

I just about fell out of my chair. Totally confused, wondering if some as-of-yet-unknown multiple personality had said something that my regular personality missed, I stammered out the vaguest reply I could think of: "Well yes, my parents are wonderful people."

If this was a slip-up - which I doubt; he's a trained professional, after all - I hope this post doesn't get M into trouble. He was a genial dude. If M threw that remark in there to freak me out, good job. It worked!

Also, M didn't mention that the interview was classified, but if I'm committing some vast faux pas by writing this, please let me know, as I would hate for you (the FBI) to come in and shut down my blog. It's my baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home