Monday, February 28, 2005

Lament for Adonis

Great Adonis, unfortunate great Adonis, thus I might meet you for the very last time, and thus I will enwrap you, and thus I will mix lips with lips. Awake just a little, Adonis, and love me again for the last time, love me as long as this kiss lives, die close to my mouth, and finish your breath in my heart (lit., liver), and I will milk your sweet charm, and I will drink from your love; and I will guard this kiss as if it were Adonis himself, since you, ill-fated one, leave me. You leave a great distance, Adonis, and you might come to Acheron to the side of the grim and savage queen; and I, wretched, live and remain a god and I cannot follow you. Take my lord, Persephona; for you are much stronger than me, and all beauty flows down to you. I remain in my fate, and I hold this insatiable grief, and I cry out for Adonis, who died on me, and I fear you. Die, o trice-desired...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home