Saturday, June 09, 2007

Assclowns

Today I went to LA because a temp/placement agency asked me to register - the natural implication being that there was a chance they could use me. I show up and the guy acts all surprised that I'm not a JD! Then we get to the work experience part and he's all, "So you're looking for...ENTRY level work?"

First of all: DUH! What kind of an assclown would I be looking for temp work if I already had a JD, and didn't go to some crap online law school? He needs to reevaluate who actually require his services. Then he goes on about how all their clientele want experienced legal assistants; again, if I had that, I sure as hell would be able to get my own self hired, thank you.

Second of all: I never represented myself as anything but entry-level assistant. If he thought otherwise, that means he read neither my resume nor my cover letter - which is just ludicrous when you consider that his whole job is to read - gasp! - resumes and cover letters.

This makes me mad, and not just because I was hauled to LA under a stupid misconception that probably won't bear fruit. Why do people put such a premium on experience over brains? THIS is what you get when you keep recyling the same incompetents year after year, instead of giving the new people a chance: a guy who doesn't even read the one document which it's his job to read. I could deliver better work in under two weeks on the job. People should keep that in mind and favor my 1-year's work experience over the chump who sat at the same desk for 15 years: maybe there's a reason he never went anywhere else. ESPECIALLY if you're talking low-level "assistant" work. What's so fucking great about spending 7 years typing other people's calendars? Anyone with a brain would have learned everything he needs to know by year 1/365.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home