Thursday, August 24, 2006

Jeff Buckley

I think two instances qualify as the beginnings of a hypothesis.

I sometimes sport a certain kind of look that seems to draw a certain kind of man. This look is a departure from my usual slacker/punky/trashy/androgynous thing; it involves combing my hair and wearing makeup; for example, often a pearl necklace, bouncy curls, and pink pink pink clothes. It's very groomed and feminine and prissy. You wouldn't think it, but tends to draw a punkier kind of man, like the sensitive emo type. How counterintuitive! The sensitive emo type is more my type, so you would think I'd have better luck attracting that when I'm being myself than when I'm putting on my little fun masquerade. Instead, I usually can't find a sensitive guy to save my life.

Anyways, this has happened twice in recent memory, and both times the guy - strikingly - declared his undying adoration for Jeff Buckley. Huh? What is it about Jeff Buckley and frilly pink girls? I was asking a friend's friend about it tonight, and he informed me that Jeff Buckley was depressing music. That made even less sense. Is pink the new black? Is it now goth to be Stepford?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff Buckley's music, depressing? I can't agree with your friend's friend at all! It's moody and emotionally rich, for sure- but depressing? The only reason I can think of that someone might say that is the fact that he died at a painfully young age (31 or something) from a swimming accident, which is admittedly depressing. But not the music!

2:59 PM, August 24, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

Hm, that makes a little more sense. But I still can't figure out the correlation.

12:42 AM, August 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home