Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Streetcar Named Desire

This may seem like a "duh" moment, but I never realized that this play is about as R-rated as they get, until I tried to teach it to a bunch of 16 year olds. I'm more used to thinking of things in terms of art, so I guess I only saw the more innocent stuff, like civilization vs. animalism, illusion vs. reality, etc. Then I felt my face turn red as I had to spell out more of the backstory.

"What did Blanche do? Right, and why did she get fired? Yes, she was a CHILD MOLESTER."
"So why did she end up at the Tarantula Arms? Well, the implication is she was a PROSTITUTE."
"And do you remember the traumatic event that first made Blanche a nympho? Good, she was married. And what did her husband do? Why did he do it? Caught him doing what? Exactly, having sex with another man."
"Did you get what happens at the end? Good, there's a RAPE."
'I'm sorry guys, this is really racy. But hey, you're old enough to watch R movies, right? No? Oh. Well, if you need to pinpoint the moment you were corrupted, you can point to this."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

only one of my favorite plays ever... yes, it is racy!

9:35 PM, July 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home