Thursday, May 11, 2006

Wisdom Teeth

I just got two of my wisdom teeth pulled today. One of them was growing sideways, and that one I think they just smashed into little pieces until they could extract all the pieces from my jaw one by one ("Okay Rex, you're going to hear something crack, so don't panic..."). I don't deal well with pain, and I can't stand the sight of blood, and the idea of stitches makes me nervous. I'm a damn soldier for doing this.

I learned today that kids born after about the 90s don't grow wisdom teeth anymore (how do dentists know this, if the oldest ones are still only 16?). When my mom asked why that was, my dentist, after a preliminary apology to Christians, said it was because of evolution, and we don't need those teeth anymore. Amazing how quickly that works.

I think I experienced a "first" today, as a result of my not dealing very well with pain. We were still in that phase when they were injecting shots to numb the jaw. By about the third or fourth injection, it was driving me crazy to think I had a needle sticking in me, and I started getting dizzy, and I couldn't feel my legs...

"Rex, are you okay?"
"Uh-huh."
"You're hyperventillating."
"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm cool, you can proceed."

I was totally lying, I was not cool! He waited until I calmed down.

5 Comments:

Blogger pughd said...

That's rough Rex. I hope they at least gave you some good dope. They gave me that stupid it-doesn't-hurt-anymore-but-you-won't-get-high crap when I got mine pulled. It worked great though. Just don't drink while you're taking it. Not even a little bit. Unlike most pharmaceuticals, hydrocodone is NOT more fun with a shot of Jim.

On a related note, Mrs. Edge is missing a premolar. It's a mutation shared by all the women in her family, but they still have wisdom teeth. Freakish Mutants all of 'em!

8:01 PM, May 11, 2006  
Blogger Bob Dively said...

Did you get the gas? It was absolutely critical for me. My oral surgeon put on some golden oldies radio and proceeded to do things to my teeth that sounded like an entire room full of sumo wrestlers cracking walnuts open. And I just didn't give a damn because I was completely blissed out. Of course, he gave me Tylenol #3 (the kind with codeine), which is not only a shitty painkiller but doesn't do anything for the inflammation, which is what really hurts. So, I took some ibuprofen and never filled the Tylenol script.

Hope you're doing ok. Can you feel your legs again?

9:48 PM, May 11, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

Um, it's not because of the awesomeness of the drugs that my legs went numb...it's because I was about to pass out! On account of the fear. In fact, I didn't get any great drugs at all, and definitely not the laughing gas. For the swelling I got - brace yourself - ice.

I think that officially makes me bad-ass. I got the 'Nam of tooth extractions.

Mostly better now. I'm off the painkillers and icing my face this minute.

Edge, one day when you have a daughter I'm going to show her what you said about her kind :-p.

2:37 AM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Bob Dively said...

Damn, ice only - that's major bad ass.

6:09 AM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger pughd said...

Damn! You really are a bad ass. Toothasaurus Rex will be your name for today.

My former roommate got his wisdom teeth pulled at the Dental School because his gradcare hadn't started yet when they were erupting. That sounded like hell on earth, but even he got some good drugs.

7:41 AM, May 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home