Monday, April 24, 2006

Headache

"Headache like a mother twice the price of my thrills." The reason for that is because I didn't have any thrills! These last two nights I've been plagued with headache and dizziness, and from doing nothing more decadent than revising my paper. It's a wonder I was able to finish it. Hey I guess finishing a paper counts as a thrill. Maybe I'm having caffeine withdrawals, or maybe I'm dehydrated, or maybe this is how I internalize stress, because God knows I've become so good at repressing stress that I barely even notice it anymore (it's essential to my slacker persona).

On a completely unrelated note: I have these moments every now and then when I'll glimpse myself in the mirror and suddenly realize that my head is too big for my body. It's like something I recall about a discussion once about Russian Formalism and how certain objects can trigger a sudden defamiliarizing experience. I just had one of those defamiliarizing experiences now with my head and the mirror, but this time, in addition to the surprise at my head's size, I was surprised by a certain shapelessness to my face. Chin growing double, eyes kinda squinty. I'm getting old. For the first time in my life. As soon as I graduate from the Pimple Squad I join the geezer's club. Why can't we be just be cute? The gods must be jealous and vengeful.

Thankfully I have modern science on my side. When I go home, I'm going to get facials and spa stuff and exercise this second chin away, and go into full-blown Denial. Vanquish time.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bob Dively said...

FWIW, your head doesn't seem to me to be too big for your body. Of course, this is coming from someone nicknamed Bobby The Squid (because I'm allegedly all head), so a grain of salt is advised.

6:18 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

Wow, whoever came up with the squid nickname is both harsh and clever. I've always preferred Walking Candy Apple myself, courtesy of Seinfeld.

4:12 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger pughd said...

What's the line from So I Married an Axe Murderer? "It's like a pumpkin on a toothpick" I think. Anyway, I don't think that applies to either Bob or Rex. And I'll add to the chorus, I have been accused of having an over-sized melon. I'll share the story later.

BTW Rex - Stay away from my woman, I don't care how hot she thinks your head is!

8:11 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

I think your woman was referring to Bob's head :-p

8:35 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Bob Dively said...

I'm well acquainted with that line from "So I Married An Axe Murderer" because the same individual who graced me with Bobby The Squid used to endlessly repeat the movie quote.

"Would ya look at the size of that kid's head! It's the size of a planetoid and it has it's own weather system! Looks like an orange on a toothpick!"

A further comparison is made between the head and Sputnik, with Sputnik being pronounced "spoont-neeck".

7:35 AM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Bob Dively said...

Oh, and thank you for the kind words above, Christina. No one has ever before told me that my head is hot. Probably because it actually sounds sort of strange.

7:37 AM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger pughd said...

Christina tells me she was talking about both of your heads. So listen up Dively. It goes for you too.

3:29 PM, April 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home