Sunday, October 23, 2005

Steve-O

I'm seriously smitten with MTV's Jackass. Steve-O is by far the grossest one, and the only one who is actually hard to watch. Yesterday (rerun, obviously), he swallowed a goldfish whole and puked it back up...alive! In another memorable episode, he snorted up an earthworm and hocked it out of his throat...alive!

Something caught my attention during the end credits of yesterday's show, so I did an imdb search. Turns out that Steve-O is a PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED CLOWN. Doesn't that explain a lot? And doesn't that NOT AT ALL diminish the myth that clowns are scary motherfuckers? Steve-O graduated from the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Clown College in 1997 (33 admits out of 100 applicants), and after that he worked as a cruiseline clown. And after that came Jackass...sigh <3.

But the name that really caught my attention during the end credits was Spike Jonze. I had only seen Being John Malkovich (besides, of course, the incidental music videos), and so I thought, could this director really be involved in something so lowbrow as Jackass? Indeed he could. In fact, Jackass might be the most substantial thing on his resume, besides Being John Malkovich; for all his marrying into the Coppola family, Spike Jones has the qualifications for precisely one market, and that market is MTV. I would say that he's overrated, except that I happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE Jackass. Thus, contrarywise, Spike Jonze is even cooler than ever in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home