Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Godfather - riddle finally cracked

I've always wondered in what cosmic warp I had first viewed the Godfather, or what weird trick my memory was playing, because how could I possibly remember the sequences as I did? I remember that I watched something from my cousin's pirated video stash, in one LONG (and boring) sitting, several hours long before I got totally bored...and from the looks of it, the story was only half-way towards a conclusion when I quit.

Some years later I watched the Godfather 2 with my friend, SW, who was enchanted by the whole epic. It may be the case that I had seen this movie before then, because it looked as though there was nothing unfamiliar. But my memory of the Godfathers is so scrambled that it's hard to tell - which is ultimately my larger point. Anyhoo, I remembered that it knocked my socks off when it came up in conversation that Brando and De Niro were never in the same Godfather movie. This came to me as a complete surprise, because I thought I'd seen only one continuous sitting of the movie, and I distinctly remembered both actors. WTF?

My mind has finally been put at ease, 4 years later, when I came across something on TV labelled, "The Godfather Saga." I did an imdb search for it, and sure enough, it looks like THIS was the Godfather I had seen first. Score!

So essentially, I'm not being completely fair (though through no fault of my own) when I swear up and down the the Godfathers are boring and overrated. Maybe the cut I had seen made the story and flow of it all especially sucky. And yet, I suspect my first analysis is not too far off from what my feelings will be in the end. I believe I saw Godfather 2 beginning to end, and I was still none too impressed. Then again, one of my favorite movies is There's Something About Mary, so what the hell do I know?

Oh yes, and while we're on the subject of contemptible tastes, I must add that I'm coming into a postumous appreciation for a phenomenon that I missed because I didn't have cable in its heyday. That phenomenon is MTV's Jackass. I can't get enough of it! How could you go wrong with pain humor + groin humor? Individually they're good, but put them together and it's dynamite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home