Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Million Dollar Baby

I definitely know now that I can't appreciate tragedies. Life is a tragedy, so why should I seek out extra-tragedy in fiction? Million Dollar Baby was a fabulously fantastic movie, and yet it kind of sucked. I wept through the entire last third. It's not so much about realizing dreams and overcoming adversity, as you would think a boxing movie would be (the Rocky 1, 2, 3, and 4 precedent), but it's more about family relationships, redemption, and taking one last risk with your heart. Without giving away too much (as if there's anyone who is a more belated movie-watcher than me), I will say that that the slogan, "I don't train girls" is more weighted, and less sexist, than you might think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot Rocky 5!!!!!!

6:53 AM, August 31, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

Oh no way! Which one was that? I vaguely remember now something about a son...(Rocky 5? Karate Kid 5?) I must not have watched the whole thing.

8:55 AM, August 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home