Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Sisyphean Task

There's no point in studying for this Greek exam. I could never retain all the vocabulary in the whole literary corpus - no, I can't even retain the vocabulary for the 20 or so key texts from which my exam will be drawn. I can break words down to their roots and stitch together their meaning from the parts. But rarely does a compound word exactly mean the sum of its constituent parts. And don't even get me started on the grammar! Prose I can do, poetry is a gamble. Most of all this stuff is going in one ear and out the other. So basically, I'm just trying to relax. I figure if I let my brain go numb I'll be free just to absorb.

That's why I came to the beach again today. It's working, I think. I'm getting through the material a lot faster than I did yesterday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:( you're at the beach! i'm at home.

5:56 PM, May 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home