Sunday, May 29, 2005

I Heart Huckabees

I really really liked this movie. Some of the discussions could be construed as pretentious (and the title, for fuck's sake), I know. But it was all done very humorously, and if there's anyone who could pull off self-important philosophizing with the right (meaning: acceptable) tone, it's Jason Schwartzman. There's something about him. The most pleasant surprise was Mark Wahlberg. He was totally magnetic, and his philosophical issues were the least froofy (petroleum). He actually made his white-rapper-himbo street credit work for him. And he played the most endearing friend, which always wins me over.

To analyze the philosophical issues. Bernie's thing about the universe being connected: the froofiest bullshit, a bad stereotype of what philosophy is. But, I understand, central to the movie's overarching theme. It was better to SHOW that message through the movie than to SAY it via that character. I guess I'm saying I have a problem with how it was said rather than what was being said; my longstanding insistence that presentation is everything.

The nihilist's thing about...well, nihilism. Definitely making a lot more sense, compared to Bernie. But I agree with Albert's conclusion that it is ultimately too dark. Like the connectedness philosophy, the nihilist philosophy can't be discussed without sounding pretentious; but as it belongs to the antagonist-ish figure, it was handled with more humor, the saving grace.

Albert's thing about the tragic double/mimetic rival: EXCELLENT. Knowing me for the Girardian that I am, you must have guessed that I'd be all over it.

Also, the rivalry was related to what was for me the biggest surprise in the movie: the idea that common suffering is what's meaningful, the thing that forges the bonds of human relationships.

Tommy's thing about petroleum: interesting, great comic timing, socially-conscious and probably the most relevant.

Dawn's thing about beauty: valid. A bit unrealistic.

Brad's thing about being perfect: the least conclusive, probably because it's the closest likeness to the modern human malaise. Or, it's closest image of me and the people I would know...though I do like to think that it has larger implications. Unlike the other issues, this was not a problem that the character could simply turn his back on, because it WASN'T external bullshit, because it was so closely tied to his identity. The crisis was the product of self-imposed pressures, rather than external pressures or unwilled insecurity. It was troubling that this character was the biggest asshole, and also the most identifiable. In my opinion, Brad's story might have been the weightiest part of the movie, or at least the most telling of the American dream.

Brad also had a bit of a negative mimetic rivalry thing going on, now that I think of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had lots of fun hanging out with you yesterday. Let's do it again!

3:20 PM, May 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home