Monday, May 30, 2005

Sensitive Men

I was listening to some Nirvana songs on the radio, and it got me thinking about how it was that Kurt Cobain ended up marrying Courtney Love. I'm sure we all have pondered this many times in our lives. He was exceptionally sensitive and fragile, emotionally, and she was just about the crudest and trashiest person that even the American media has ever witnessed. In fact, I challenge you to name me someone trashier. (Plus, Love is not the kind of woman that any man would propose to, however much he might be involved with her otherwise - but this is a whole other brainteaser.) One might argue that this phenomenon can be attributed to the rocker in Cobain, that rockers as a rule went for floozies. Yes, I would answer, but these women tended to be DUMB floozies at worst (Stephanie Seymore), or sometimes neutral floozies (Heather Locklear), or sometimes even strong and independent floozies (Sharon Osbourne, Pamela Anderson [I know what you're thinking, but she's strongly committed to PETA]).

All the above-mentioned women were actually involved with rock stars that were far more crude than Cobain. So perhaps we can derive a maxim from this:

Sensitive men are drawn to hateful and vile women.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... Is Paris Hilton trashier than Courtney Love? Possibly, but if so, in a different way.

11:56 AM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

Interesting parallel. You know who has a crush on Paris Hilton? David "Savage." I know this because I was browsing the facebook one day, and I came across Paris Hilton, and I thought, "What loser would make up this profile?" Well, under the "Relationship Status" category, it says that she's married to David "Savage" - so there you go. Perhaps we can derive a new maxim:

Closeted queers are drawn to trashy women.

Am I saying that Kurt Cobain was a closeted queer? I hadn't thought about it like that, but he was awfully sensitive. Something to put in your pipe and smoke.

3:07 PM, May 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see how closeted queers can be drawn to trashy women. Trashy, bold women flaunt their sexuality and use their female form and sex to attract men. If I were a closeted gay man, I would envy that.

3:49 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

Bravo! I believe we solved the Cobain-Love marriage riddle. I've got first divs on the publishing rights: "Kurt Cobain Was Gay." If only he had waited a few more years...it would have been 800 times more acceptable for him to come out, and then he wouldn't have had to kill himself.

4:13 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger GyangBang said...

How many grunge rockers are gay though? I think that Courtney was nice enough in the beginning and they clicked on some drug induced level. Then she turned into her real self, but by then he was already attached and too high to care. Sensitive men have issues with letting go. And trashy women can be quite manipulative.

Or better yet, maybe his Courtney reminded him of his mom.. we all know about guys and their moms..

4:52 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

That's good: "clicked on some drug-induced level." And of course the mom part. You should publish your theory, and I'll publish mine.

5:04 PM, May 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Kurt was known to wear a dress to some performances... and I THINK it was once rumored that he slept with Michael Stipe. So... maybe not so closeted after all?

5:43 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

I think that goes to show that gay wasn't even really a category - I mean a real, convincing category - in the early nineties. We all thought Kurt was just cool and/or weird and/or edgy (a la my prince, David Johansen) when he wore that dress, like in the In Bloom video. Also the fact that it actually made him look MORE grungy, rather than elegant. I did not know about this Michael Stipe rumor. How was this not a TOTAL red flag?

Not that I need it now, though. With the thought having been put into my head, I'm absolutely convinced that Kurt Cobain was gay. It just jives so well with all the facts.

If we were to witness everything now, what we witnessed more than a decade ago, that wife and kid would have fooled no one. Just like Walt Whitman is so patently gay (or so I believe) to us moderns.

1:41 AM, May 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home