Thursday, September 13, 2007

Google Earth

Wow, what a great toy. I got a long-term assignment today from Nice Boss which requires me to use it, so naturally, after downloading the program, I've spent the day looking up my house, my high school, my surf spot, etc. Not only do they have very detailed satellite images of everything, but they also mark out points of interest with features, including scenic photographs of the San Clemente sunset, and (old) wikipedia links to my first hometown, Phillips Ranch. I learned that wikipedia evidently did not have a very high opinion of Phillips Ranch:

'Phillips Ranch is a master-planned community located in the southwestern portion of the city limits of Pomona, in Los Angeles County, California. It is located near the Pomona Freeway (SR-60) and the Chino Valley Freeway (SR-71). The zip code serving the neighborhood is 91766. Phillips Ranch, which is 4 miles southwest of downtown Pomona, and is mostly working-to-upper class. Phillips Ranch is often referred to by its neighborhood name instead of by the city name (Done mainly to garner the appearance of a higher social status). Pomona has had a reputation for crime, particularly homicides, although its murder rate is no worse than the city of Los Angeles. Still, many residents use "Phillips Ranch, CA" as a return address, even though no such postal station exists.'

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That brings back memories. Mostly of the 80s and early Clinton era. Even the name "Phillips Ranch" sounds so 80s.

5:59 PM, September 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home