Saturday, May 26, 2007

Shame on Netflix

Today I had the wonderful good fortune of catching Conan the Barbarian on TV, combined with the extraordinary bad fortune of catching only half an hour of it. This is the first time I encountered the movie at a point that seemed interesting. Conan the Destroyer, I've seen numerous times, especially everything after the mirror scene; because how could you flip past the mirror scene and NOT stay for the rest of the movie?! Destroyer is in fact almost TOO good, because whenever I saw parts of Barbarian, they inevitably couldn't measure up, so that I would believe it wouldn't be worth my time to stay for the whole thing.

That was before I caught the great bits that I caught today. I managed to flip through during some kind of a storm scene, where Conan seems to die, but then he wakes and the girl says that she could claw back from the pits of hell to fight by his side. Then there was the awesome banquet scene with orgy, chaos, fire, a king morphing into a snake, and Conan defeating sledgehammered meatheads with the deftness of his sword.

Ah.

Totally thirsting for more, I was crushed to find out that Netflix does not yet carry this title.

Graphic novels and "sword and sorcery" movies? Is my transformation into a nerd complete? It's like I postumously became a classicist!

2 Comments:

Blogger Que-ni said...

One of my fav.s of all time. I can't believe we did not see it...

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"To crush your enemy; see them run before you; and hear the lamentation of thier women." (The first words ever spoken by adult Conan-- and Schwarzenegger as a leading man, for that matter; oh, at minute 22 into the movie).

As for Destroyer being any good? You're lucky you're not in my neighborhood, otherwise we might throw down! :)

9:21 PM, May 26, 2007  
Blogger Rex said...

Yeah, I read about Destroyer's reputation, and I think it's crazy! It's an excellent movie, and if it's "child friendly" as they all say it is, well, all the better because I saw it when I was a child and it's that much closer to my heart. I think the Supermans and Conan comprise my earliest memories of cinema.

3:51 AM, May 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home