Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Futureheads @ the Fonda

with the French Kicks. As expected, the Futureheads were great fun; but it's truly a rare treat when you get a stellar opening band as well. The French Kicks were kinda froofy artsy music, except HELL on the old skins. I have a weak spot for an aggressive rhythm section.

The world around me is changing, but only I remain the same.

Every once in a while, I see some token that this is true...and it's deeply unnerving! Around this time last year, I went to my first Futureheads show and met these two guys, Graham (I'm pretty sure that was his name) and his friend - let's say, Josh (blanking on real name).

Graham was a geeky English dude, slightly balding, and very nice to me. We talked about Oscar Wilde and Marcel Proust. I remember him because I thought he looked just like an English archaeologist I know named David.

"Josh" was a cute waifish dude, a hipster who didn't quite dress the part, and very hostile to me. He dismissed me as soon as I said I was there to check out a band I had never heard before, and when I told him what bad music I did like. I remember him because I thought he looked just like a hipster archaeologist I know named Josh.

At the end of the night, they went off to afterparty with some English girls they'd met at the show. By then, I was their friend, and they invited me to join, but I declined. Contrary to popular belief, I actually do set limits for myself.

I thought I saw them again tonight - which is not all that amazing, since it would have been weirder if they didn't show. Josh was unrecognizable because of a new stubble, but Graham looked exactly how I remembered him. I was 90% sure it was them. I didn't say hello, however, because they had some chicas with them (looked like a double-date)...and you know, it's always bad form to be cute and present in situations like that. I wondered with amusement if these chicas were the self-same English girls of last year.

And that's when I got that lightning bolt, that everyone had moved forward in a year except me. Grahams was looking less geeky, Josh was dressing closer to the telos of his inner-hipster, and all of them had found a Somebody they hadn't had a year before. Only I was the same. A year's labor harvested only it's yield of sufferings - sufferings that have come and gone, leaving me perhaps with a deepened sense of humanity (because suffering constitutes humanity), but mostly just striving to regain equilibrium.

And there it was. Only I hadn't changed because only I was yearning toward conservatism instead of change. And maybe the reason I put such a high premium on my having big balls and spontaneity is because I'm afraid I'll never move forward. It's a frightening thought, and a lonely one. I would like to mature with the times, just like everyone else, but perhaps I know deep down that I'm incapable of gambling with my core stability. Perhaps I'm constitutionally not wired to take risks, for all my rhetoric and ideals against cowardice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home