Monday, June 12, 2006

Una furtiva lagrima

I was haunted by this aria featured in Divorzio all'italiana because I remembered being affected strongly by it before very recently. So I looked it up, and found out that it was also featured in Match Point.

What a coincidence!

Two things of note:

1. The aria, to me, sounds like it's just seeped in sadness; but the opera from which it came, L'Elisir d'amore, is actually a comedy.

2. This aria of sadness and comedy has (at least) twice been used as the soundtrack of monster assholes - who by themselves, are neither sad nor comic.

And then the recollection hit me that I know nothing about opera, and I should seek to remedy that asap. But the difficulty about opera is access ($$$ + what city you're in + what this season's reperatoire is) and quality control (no definitive editions or recordings), so i'm not sure how I'm going to start this project. Eh, it may never happen.

1 Comments:

Blogger VTahir said...

it's haunting me , too. I knew this aria a long time ago. But it was after I watched Match Point that it started to haunt me. That was a month ago, but yerstersay I heard a very different version tand then i searched videos about it on youtube. Now I can almost remember the lyrics because I listened too many times.

ps. I have one version on co, but I prefer it to be sung in same other ways.

1:42 AM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home