Sunday, June 18, 2006

Hell

to me would look something like watching a soccer match + rabid karaoke singing.

Still, I decided some time ago that I would rather burn in hell for all eternity than find out that there is no afterlife at all. There's a memorable line from Crimes and Misdemeanors:

"But what if you're wrong, Saul? What if there is no God?"
"Then I would still have had a better life than a man who doesn't believe."

I thought this was such a profound psychological insight, but then it occurred to me that it has an ideological significance for me even beyond consciousness. It's not just that I'd love to go to heaven, but if it turns out I don't feel anything, then that's okay too. No, I would actively rather endure all manner of torture and hellfire and soccer matches for the rest of time if only it could mean that there is order and justice and meaning in this crazy world.

Happy Father's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home