Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year!

I should know better than to expect that any new year will be different. They will all be difficult, there will always be things I would want to blot out of my mind forever. Nevertheless, last year was particularly painful - so much so that it made me start this blog; and I was depressed for roughly 1/3 of the time - and I can't help but hope that 2006 might be better.

One can't forget, 2005 has maintained its pluses has well: the best family, and dog, and great friends that I love to pieces; and for the most part, we've all kept our health, the most important thing of all. And as much as I've had issues about my career choice, I've realized that either directly or indirectly, I'm doing exactly what I want - not least of all with this blog. So I've always wanted to be a writer: well, I'm writing. The only thing missing is the fortune and fame, but there is still some value to be had without it. I remember Chuck Berry saying in his documentary that people in the neighborhood were making all that great music for themselves when he was growing up, and all Berry wanted to do differently was to go national with it. It may be the case that I'm supposed to be one of those neighborhood people.

So all in all, I have to admit that I'm very happy right now with the way things are. The only thing that really leaves me sad is the thought of going another year without the one I love. But that's okay, too. If there's anything I've learned with getting older, it's how to make the most of the consolation prizes - which sometimes surprise you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home