Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Shy Person Act

I'm sitting here in a coffee shop right now "working." At the table next to me is this couple that looks like they're at the beginning of their courtship. Meaning that the man is totally engrossed by the woman and really trying hard - because we all know that that fades pretty fast, ha! Anyways, the woman is one of them mousy chicks. The man is kind of granola himself, but he's clean enough and built enough, and hence not a total scrub.

These last few days, I've sort of turned my game off, on account of finals and all. I'm a naturally shy person, so when I'm not "on" it almost looks like I'm afraid of the world. To my surprise, I've found that there is a certain kind of personality that responds to the shy, timorous type. I mean, I've heard about this phenomenon before, but I've never seen it in action. Where I'm from, being shy is a 100% guarantee that you'll be a wallflower.

Suddenly it makes sense, why my people are known for being mean, and why I've been having such a dry spell even with the casual dating lately: I'm just a fish out of water, and I must have been going about it all the wrong way. I should have put on the mousy chick act months ago. The only reason my people have the reputation for being mean is that we don't give the mousy chicks the time of day. And I guess the countrafactual is why people who aren't us are supposed to be so friendly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home