Thursday, July 21, 2005

Another Funny Deja Vu

Once, in my Shakespeare discussion section, our section leader had us do some kind of a game-show-type contest, in which one half of the class competed against the other half. She told us to pick Shakespearean names for our teams, citing the previous section as having picked the Beast with Two Backs and something else that was far less clever. The opposing team in my section said, "Hey, that's good; we'll be the Beast with Two Backs, too." Great, I thought, they picked the best one; how are we going to beat that? And then, out of nowhere, came this spark of inspiration: "Let's be the Codpieces!" I said.

A codpiece is a jock strap, I seem to recall...and if I may say so myself, it's even more clever than the Beast with Two Backs! I remember I was searching through my head for various slurs used by Falstaff; I still don't know why "codpiece" came to me with such clarity.

Isn't it a wonderful insult? It's like in Grease, when Danny asks Sandy about his rival (played by Lorenzo Llamas), "So are you still going out with that jock strap?" I will be sure to call someone a codpiece in the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a codpiece story for you. Call me.

4:10 PM, July 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home