Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm That Good

This is a follow up to the post, If I Were a Minx. Interesting turn of events. I'm learning that maybe some men want to be pursued.

I tried that strategy of suggesting a non-date date. Last weekend my coworkers got a booth to see Point Break Live. There was 1 empty seat left, so that gave me the perfect opportunity to test Sleazy Guy's relationship. It would have been better if I had two spots so that I could invite the gf too, but there you have it. I offered him the ticket a few days before the show, apologizing for springing it on Labor Day weekend and on date night - of course, making it clear that the gf was cordially not invited, while also making it clear that it was a group hang. He ignored me until Monday. I told him he was tardy to the party ("What party?") and there was a bit of silence. Then the next day he asked me if he could bootleg Microsoft Office off me. Random query right? I responded that mine was a bootleg itself, but I offered to buy him the software with my student discount. He said yes. Then he proceeded to try to set up a lunch date. The only day that worked was Friday, so he cancelled his existing lunch date to squeeze me in.

I take that to be a rather good sign.

The psychology behind this exchange bears some analysis, though I honestly have no idea at what point he decided he was interested. Obviously I had to show some interest first, because he was happy to let almost a week go by in silence. That flimsy conversation about the software mystifies me, because clearly it was some kind of turning point. Did he change his mind after I made a friendly gesture? Did he rise to the challenge once he decided that I was just being a friend and was opting out of the "game"? (It's factually true that at that point I was fed up with him and resolved not to pursue him; but I usually make it point not to burn bridges with exes.) Did I just smoke him out with patience in not making a "move"-move? Is he using me to get discount software?

These questions will be answered, hopefully, at tomorrow's lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home