Saturday, May 30, 2009

Up

Loved it, like I knew I would. I was in tears since the animated short. Pixar does it again!

I got mad at Miel (the ball and chain) yesterday because he was a real Debbie Downer about my one-liners project. He didn't think they were funny at all and suggested I call it quits. Nothing gets me madder than someone trying to tell me what to do. I was even more riled because this project was such a stupid thing, with no meaning to anyone but me, that it seemed a little cowardly to call a time of death so early in the game. The world would be exactly in the same state with or without my jokes, so why not keep it up if it makes me feel productive, and maybe even funny, eventually? In addition to believing that Miel was being controlling and cowardly, I also despised his lack of adventurousness. Why should I have to be the impetus for interestingness in the relationship? Far from discouraging my projects, he should be competing with me in them.

But something in the relationship in Up made me repent my anger. It reminded me a little bit of my own ball and chain situation, in the way that two very different personalities reinforce each other (in the beginning Miel used to make a similar observation, that he was like Wall-E and I was like Eve) - but there was that added element of a lifelong devotion. That's something I definitely want on my deathbed, and something I could potentially have. It made me think that as long as I can build that kind of happiness, it's fair for me to stop sweating the small stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home