Sunday, August 17, 2008

Roadside Prophets

Not a bad movie. At first I tuned in because I was like, holy crap it's Ad Rock! I don't have the best experiences with IFC, so I was only hoping that it wouldn't be a total waste of my time. Roadside Prophets was definitely that and probably a good bit more. Certainly better than that crap Rita Hayworth movie I saw yesterday, about a real-life muse who comes down to earth to play one on Broadway. Did you know that Hayworth is a pretty horrible dancer? She is. It's okay when she's tapping, but to try to get some grace out of her and it's like watching a dancing elephant...

Ad Rock plays the weirdo dweeb, which is entertaining, albeit pretty unconvincing. He looks the part and embraces the character, but it's hard to forget that he's badder-ass than all those other people who are supposed to treat him like he's a leper. David Carradine has a mystic cameo, which was a bit of a disguise because he was significantly heavier back then (1992), and I knew him only by the voice. John Cusak also gets a cameo as the whacked out criminal. The man has range. Most of the time he's doing those shitstorm formula movies like Serendipity, but then when you're not looking for him he appears in crazy projects like this and Being John Malkovich. Perhaps he benefitted from his exposure to Ione Sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home